DNN is an open source web content management system based on Microsoft.Net. It was written in VB.Net but it has been fully migrated to C# since version 6.0.
There are three versions available for DNN which are community edition, professional and enterprise editions. The professional and enterprise editions have more features built in and have technical supports offered. Below are the list of features available sourced from Dotnetnuke website.
- Unlimited online and email product support with second level support from Dotnetnuke corp. architects and engineers.
- Full product documentation.
- Email notifications if there are secury patches or product updates available.
- Access to DNN online knowledge base
- Product copyright indemnification
- Advanced Content Approval Process – Administrators can create custom workflows with an unlimited number of states and reviewers. Workflows can be for individual module content changes or for changes to any modules on a page.
- Granular User Permissions – Page, module and folder level extended permissions provide granular security rights which allow you to precisely define which content contributors can edit which modules on each page.
- Document Management - A full document management solution which allows your organization to store, control and view documents online including video and media files
- Microsoft SharePoint Connector (Enterprise Edition only) - Enables fast, secure publishing of documents stored in SharePoint to public web sites, extranets or intranets.
- Content Staging (Enterprise Edition only) - Make and test all web site changes on a staging server prior to publishing to your production server.
- Windows Azure and Amazon S3 Support - Compatible with Windows Azure Cloud Hosting and provides two folder provider options for Amazon S3 and Azure File Storage.
- eCommerce Engine - Empowers organizations with a small portfolio of digital goods and services to quickly enable ecommerce on their web site.
- User Interface Customization with Telerik RadControls – A license for Telerik RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX for an unlimited number of developers to use within your Professional Edition instance
- My Editable Pages - Links to all of the pages and modules in the site which a user has permission to Edit are displayed, allowing efficient page editing
- Page and Module Caching – Multiple caching options speed the delivery of web pages and reduce the workload on your web servers
- Google Analytics for Marketing – Support for advanced Google Analytics functionality such as visitor type, landing page, role, or referrer segmentation
- File Integrity Checking – Checks files in the installation and reports any inconsistencies which may impact web site reliability
- Web Server Farm Support – New caching provider delivers more efficient resource usage in web farms
- Health Monitoring – Pings the website periodically to identify failures and will notify the site owner. Also ensures the site stays in web server memory for faster user accessibility
Where to download DNN?
To download the DNN installation files and source codes, you can go to http://dotnetnuke.codeplex.com
What version should I choose?
If you do not use any features provided by professional or enterprise version, it is highly recommended to use Community Edition. If you need help or some advises, you can post your enquiry in DNN Forums page.
What are the requirements to install DNN?
For the latest version of DNN 7.x.x, you will need the following web hosting requirements.
- Windows Server Hosting supporting ASP.Net 4.x or higher
- SQL Server 2005 or higher